About the company
The customer is an education-centric startup based in the US. They launched in 2010, and has an approximate
user base of 12 million in 2017. They create high value educational content for children. Using interactive
games and tasks, they are working towards making classroom education fun. This startup has been acquiring
customers online since the start and PPC is one of the most successful acquisition channel.
Google Ads (AdWords) campaign target
When the customer started using AdNabu, their immediate priority was to cut the cost of sign-ups for
teachers and parents. Bringing down the existing high acquisition cost was
very necessary because the lifetime value of a customer did not justify the cost of acquisition. This
rendered the Google Ads (AdWords) campaigns unprofitable. Keeping a check on the acquisition cost would enable the
business to invest more in Google Ads (AdWords), thus building a scope of higher conversions.
Problems in the existing campaign setup
- Even though the business's landing page was delivering great user experience that lead to a healthy
the cost of acquisition was still high as the competition for relevant
keywords was fierce.
- Long tail search queries triggered ads from a short tail keyword. Because the bidding is at the keyword
level, high converting long tail searches couldn't be pushed exclusively. Thus the bidding was not optimal.
- Same ad was triggered by multiple keywords.
This reduced the relevancy of ads as they did not include the
keyword that triggered them.
- Broad match type was used with the keywords. This resulted in unwanted clicks
which added to the high cost per conversion.
Solutions & Steps taken by AdNabu
- AdNabu started off by identifying long tail keywords that are closely related to the search queries.
- AdNabu then created single keyword ad groups,
each of which consisted of one unique long tail keyword and a set of ads
pertaining to the keyword. This triggered an ad that was very relevant to the search query.
- AdNabu used the broad match modifier instead of the broad match. This reduced the number of unwanted clicks significantly.
- The technique of dynamic keyword insertion was used by AdNabu to modify an ad as per the user search query.
This increased the click-through rate
for the ads became more relevant.
AdNabu's search campaign for the customer majorly helped increase the quality score of the keywords. This
helped in winning the same ad positions as before for lower costs. The click through rate improved and the
overall cost per conversion dropped by 34%. This turned the campaign into a profitable one. The customer
has been using AdNabu for over 18 months since then.